Job Description for Project Engineer (Civil)
Name : …………………………………………………………………
Designation : Project Engineer (Civil)
Level : 9th
Accountability : Program Manager
Location : WAC Nepal Office (Sanfebagar, Achham)
Program Name : Using Renewable Energy to Kickstart Agriculture in Achham (UREKA)
Duty Station : Office Base with frequent travel to project area
The responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with or access to children or young people for better of children, women, and poor and marginalized people. S/he will be accountable on the safeguarding policy, code of conducts and other policy and guidelines of the organization while treating with children and any others.
Under the close supervision of Executive Director/ Program Manager the Project Engineer (Civil) will be directly responsible for Planning, implementation and monitoring of “Using Renewable Energy to Kickstart Agriculture in Achham (UREKA)” project activities in district level. The Project engineer will also be responsible for meeting reporting requirements and adhering to deadlines, primary liaison with district and local stakeholders, program partners and beneficiary communities at the local to district level. The position holder will also be responsible for carrying out overall prescribed construction works of UREKA project at field level in terms of prefeasibility, detail feasibility, field survey/site assessment, DPR preparation and implementation of the schemes ensuring desired quality and time deadlines. S/he will be responsible for technical backstopping and supervise technical supervisor & user committee’s members before & during construction work to ensure the quality of work. S/he should frequently monitor and supervise the construction activities, analyze the achievement, orient skilled and unskilled labors as per design and ensure timely completion of planned activities.
- Main duties and Responsibilities
1.1 Program Implementation
- Prepare Periodic plan based on the project agreement and Detail Implementation Plan (DIP) and share it to the project team and implement accordingly.
- Lead on potential site identification for promotion of Renewable Energy technology promoted by Renewable World like Solar MUS, solar power based postharvest technologies.
- Lead the team to carry out the prefeasibility, detailed feasibility study at potential site, analyze the data and design the technology matching the demand, prepare cost estimate, specification, and drawings considering technical, economic, social context of the site.
- Support to Technical Supervisor, community mobilizers, User Committees, for proper mobilization of local resources, skill and unskilled labor under SMUS sites.
- With technical support for technical team of RW, lead in tendering process for electromechanical components of Solar MUS, such as: prepare tender documents; Invite for bids; if necessary, organize pre-bidding meeting with interested bidders and visit the sites; collection and evaluation of bid documents, award of contract etc.
- Coordinate with the community, local government, provincial government, and relevant stakeholders to leverage the match fund required to make the scheme financially secured.
- Organize public hearing, social audit, technical audits to inform beneficiaries and relevant stakeholder on the project plan, role, and responsibility of each stakeholder and ensure the transparency and the quality of works.
- Identify any critical issues that can delay the project and prepare the catch-up plan to complete the project on time in coordination with the project team.
- Coordinate with Program Manager of WAC and RW for all activities, working modality and others construction related works.
- Utilize personal knowledge, connections, and skills to build sustainable and productive relationships with and between diverse key stakeholders from the public, private and civic sectors and maintain a good and close working relationship with the SAPPROS Nepal, RW and relevant stakeholders
- Organize and manage user groups related to other infrastructures taken up by UREKA program and assigned by organization.
1.2 Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) and Reporting
- Lead the team in managing validated data and information to reflect project results timely.
- Support team in best utilize the provided hardcopy and digital platforms to input correct data and regular review and analysis of the data and information
- Strongly lead the team in maintaining integrity in data and information management.
- Provide factual and accurate data and information as required by the system or requirements timely.
- Facilitate the achievement by team members of performance-based targets and outcomes and support efforts to design effective, proactive, and interactive organizational MEAL System.
- Ensure monitoring of field level activities within the district to be on time, target and budget, and propose recommendations for improvements.
- Support regular monitoring visits and meetings to share program progress and receive feedback.
- Coordinate closely with Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning focal Coordinator to generate and collect required information and data in the process of measuring results of program intervention.
- Ensure monthly/quarterly plan and report is submitted timely.
- Generate quality progress reports and documents capturing program learning’s and good practices.
- Ensure that innovative approaches, good practices, particular challenges, or good results are documented to support agency learning.
- Follow reporting requirements and report to the organization focal person and partner organization through appropriate means as required.
- Establish good coordination with government and non-government stakeholders to prevent duplication of actions.
- Prepare Checklists, Quality Benchmark as a monitoring tool for the project.
- As required by the organization, liaise, and represent the program’s components among local government, civil society/community leaders and other key stakeholders in the district and province.
- Ensure and perform close coordination and information sharing with other partners, local government.
- Establish and maintain professional and productive relationships with communities and local government.
- Serve as key focal point for project related issues and problems in the district and seek support from ED/PM and partner organizations as required.
- Ensure all communications and visibility requirements of the project/donor are adhered to.
- Perform assigned responsibilities and program activities in close supervision of Program Manager.
- Assist in other WAC’s programs, if required.
- WAC Nepal property, equipment, or time should only be used for authorized purposes. Misuse may result in disciplinary action.
1.4 SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY:
- Supervise and technical back stopping to Technical Supervisor for the quality and timely implementation of infrastructure schemes.
- Supervise Admin and finance Asst for financial management and community Mobilizer for social mobilisation of community and relevant stakeholders.Do This
- Prepare and share the project progress report to Program manager on defined time (monthly, quarterly, mid-term and final project report) in the standard formats, such work will necessarily include quantitative and qualitative data collation, interpretation, and analysis.
- Share the progress report to the local governments and relevant stakeholders as per their requirements.Do This
2. Inspection and surrounding bounds of duties:
- WAC Nepal will provide best means, materials, and pleasant environment to support the accomplishment of the job entity.
- The attainment achieved by this post will be supervised by the authorized person.
3. Performance Indicator:
- Timely execution of the activities assigned for the UREKA Project.
- Proper implementation and management of program and team management.
4. Academic Qualification, and attributes:
- Bachelor’s Degree in civil engineering with minimum of 5 years working experience and minimum 3 years’ experience rural water supply system survey design and installation.
- Proven experience in the usage of computer and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.).
- Experience of using AutoCAD to produce the drawings, organizing, and facilitating technical trainings and provide guidance to community in different aspects of civil construction works
- Able to generate the comprehensive reports in both Nepali and English.
- Having valid 2-wheeler driving license.
- Strong interest to work on renewable energy technologies.
- Experience in undertaking needs assessments and market assessments.
- Self-motivated with time and stress management skills and Ability to take responsibility, meet deadlines and make progress with minimum supervision.
- Willing to travel extensively to the project implemented sites and able to accommodate and adjust in difficult working conditions and tough field situations.
- Networking skills to effectively correspond with a diverse audience in different setting.
- Fluency in both (written and oral) English and Nepali.
- Proven ability to manage risks and promote governance to contribute on strategic outcomes.
5. Period of Performance and Budget
- The Project engineer (Civil) will work over the years.
- The Project coordinator will be paid a salary as provisioned on the organizational policy.