Project name : Using Renewable Energy to Kickstart Agriculture in Achham (UREKA)
Designation : Agriculture technician
Salary and benefits : As per the organization norms commensurate with the project agreement
Contract : 24 months initial fixed term contract with possibility of extension based on performance
Responsible to : District Coordinator
Duty Station : Field based in Achham (UREKA working sites)
UREKA project description
‘Using Renewable Energy to Kickstart Agriculture in Achham (UREKA)’ project will be jointly implemented by Renewable World (RW), in collaboration with SAPPROS and WAC Nepal in Achham. ‘This project forms part of a wider ‘Renewable Energy for Change’ programme. The goal of this project is to contribute to the achievement of SDG 2 in Nepal – End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture. UREKA will work towards this goal, through the objective of improving food security, income generation, and hygiene among 1,730 households across Achham District through access to renewable energy technology (solar powered water pumping and solar powered agro-processing, agricultural resources, and enhanced value chains.
Agriculture Technician will be based at field area of Project at Achham. This position will be responsible for planning, field level implementation and monitoring and follow up of Agriculture and livelihood improvement interventions of the UREKA project through strong coordination with the stakeholders in line with the WAC Nepal’s policy. The Agriculture Technician is expected to provide technical and strategic guidance and support to the target beneficiaries for agriculture development initiatives so as to achieve project’s output and make a significant contribution to increase agricultural production, reducing poverty, improving household livelihood security, generating household income and employment. The post-holder should also be familiar with renewable energy technologies, including Solar Multi Use water system. S/he will also be responsible for establishing and maintaining congenial working relationships with the government officials, donors, media, and other key stakeholders.
- Main duties and responsibilities
Program planning and implementation
- Plan and effectively implement the field level agriculture activities of project focused on increasing agriculture production based on seasonal calendar.
- Organize and facilitate workshops and deliver technical training on off-season and high value organic farming, climate smart agriculture practices.
- Provide technical assistance to the community on how to improve sustainable agriculture practices and increase crop production.
- Support in target community identification and mobilize community people, Farmer Groups, User Committees, cooperatives, and other relevant Self-Help Groups for implementation of planned activities.
- Undertake market assessments to identify opportunities to develop or improve livelihoods in communities with new access to renewable energy technologies.
- Support in conduction of need assessments, feasibility studies, impact assessments as required by the project.
- Support project team in integrating Agriculture activities at the assigned RM/ward level planning process and leveraging of the match funds.
- Support/promote pilot demonstration of agricultural related innovation, technologies and best practice including solar powered cold storage, solar powered processing, collection center.
- Support project team to organize monitoring visits (central/regional, district) involving different stakeholders as per need.
- Work closely with the UREKA project team and from time to time undertake other reasonable tasks and responsibilities as requested by your direct line District Coordinator.
Monitoring, Reporting and Scale Up
- Regular field visit, monitoring of field activities and provide technical backstopping to community.
- Support the MEAL officer in field visit and monitoring to ensure that farmers’ interests are addressed, and feedback is reflected.
- Make regular field visit to collect and data verification and support to follow M&E system at field level.
- Prepare human interest stories based on outstanding case studies from agriculture development initiatives of project.
- Timely reporting of project progress to concerned authorities on standard reporting formats provided.
- Participate in periodic review and planning meetings with project team and assist in developing implementation plan.
Coordination and Networking
- Maintain and establish congenial working relationship with various stakeholders from government, civil society, and the private sector at local, district and provincial level.
- Identify opportunities and access possibilities for Project to develop new partnerships and networking with communities, line agencies, government Units, private sectors.
- Deliver all project activities in line with Renewable World’s Community Centered Model.
- Ensure all project activities are gender and socially inclusive.
- Implement Renewable World’s Accountability mechanism at community level.
- Adhere to organization and Donor’s Code of Conduct, Enhanced Code of Conduct and always follow Safeguarding Policy.
2. Qualification, Experience and Attributes:
- Junior Technical Assistant (plant science) with minimum five years experiences in related field in NGO/INGO’s. or I. SC Ag (plant science) with 3 years of experience is preferred.
- Extensive knowledge of climate-smart agriculture, local agricultural varieties, value chain and entrepreneurship development.
- Experience in organizing and facilitating technical trainings and provide guidance to community in different aspects of agriculture and enterprise development.
- Experience of designing innovative and suitable agriculture interventions.
- Ability to take direction and feedback from senior staff and ensure that activities are in line with Detailed Implementation Plans and budgets.
- Strong interest to work on issues related to agriculture and livelihood enhancement.
- Experience in undertaking needs assessments and market assessments.
- Self-motivated with time and stress management skills and Ability to take responsibility, meet deadlines and make progress with minimum supervision.
- Willing to travel extensively to the project implemented sites and able to accommodate and adjust in difficult working conditions and tough field situations.
- Networking skills to effectively correspond with a diverse audience in different setting.
- Fluency in both (written and oral) English and Nepali.
- Excellent Computer Skill.
Interested candidates who meets these criteria, are requested to apply for the position with the Application Cover Letter and updated CV with minimum two referees through email to …………………………com before …………………. 2020 by 5.00 pm.
Local to Karnali and Sudur Paschim Province or project district, Women, Dalits, Marginalized people are highly encouraged to apply for the position. Only the short-listed candidates will be notified for the further assessment. The employer reserves all the rights to accept or reject any or all the applications without any reasons thereof. No telephone calls will be entertained.